Study In Canada: 2022 University of British Columbia Public Scholars Award for Postgraduate Students
The 2022 University of British Columbia Public Scholars Award is currently open for qualified candidates interested in explicitly linking their doctoral work to an arena of public benefit.
Up to $10,000 twice, for a total of $20,000 per student is available to support innovative/collaborative scholarship which the student would otherwise be unable to pursue
The University of British Columbia (UBC) is a public research university with campuses near Vancouver and in Kelowna, British Columbia. Established in 1908, UBC is British Columbia’s oldest university. The university ranks among the top three universities in Canada. With an annual research budget of $759 million, UBC funds over 8,000 projects a year.
- Host Country: Canada
- Study Abroad: Study in Canada
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: $20,000
- Deadline: May 20, 2022
This award is part of the UBC Public Scholars Initiative (PSI) which intends to build connections, community, and capacity for doctoral students who are interested in explicitly linking their doctoral work to an arena of public benefit and integrating broader and more career-relevant forms of scholarship into their doctoral education process.
This year funding is available for up to 30-35 new students. Students may be eligible for renewal for a second year (pending new PSI funding).
This year we are also accepting applications for a unique “Climate Emergency Stream” (CES). The CES is a dedicated funding source to further increase the numbers of PSI Scholars working on issues related to the Climate Emergency, understood broadly.
For more information on the program, the application details, and any other questions, please register for one of the following general information sessions.
The 2022 University of British Columbia Public Scholars Award is open to;
- UBC Vancouver doctoral students (PhD, EdD, and DMA) in years 1-5 and; UBC Okanagan doctoral students in years 1-5
- Applicants must have completed no more than 48 months of doctoral study as of 31 August 2022
- Applicants must be registered in a UBC doctoral program as of 1 September 2022
- Applicants in their 6th year (48 to 60 months of doctoral study) will be accepted only in the most exceptional circumstances.
- All students, faculty, and collaborators will be asked to complete a questionnaire at the end of their funding/involvement. Student dissertations and student completion and career outcomes will also be reviewed as part of the assessment of this pilot initiative.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- Up to $10,000 twice, for a total of $20,000 per student is available to support innovative/collaborative scholarship which the student would otherwise be unable to pursue. Funding can be used for:
- A research allowance (including allowance for professional development or travel relevant to the scholarly work)
- Student stipend, if the student’s current funding source would not allow the alternative project(s)
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- PSI Fellowship Application 2022-2023 form
- Canadian Common CV as one pdf file
- Mandatory supervisor letter of support and the optional letter(s) of support from collaborators
Click the button below to commence your application.